UGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH! I'm pretty sure I claimed 2017 was going to be my best year yet! But y'all, I blinked and it's freakin' November! Don't get me wrong there have been some amazing moments but entrepreneurship can be such a roller coaster. It will make you all warm and fuzzy on Monday and kick your butt on Friday!
Just this year I lost my bookkeeper and my VA! Both of these gals were SO darn good and it rocked my world when they said goodbye. I launched a pop up coaching service only to have ZERO sign up for it. I fell in love with a brand new platform, Anchor, only to ignore it for the last 2 months. I vowed to launch a course in the fall only to put it off for the umpteenth time. With all this being said feelings of overwhelm, stress, boredom, burnout, and/or bitterness start to creep in and replace the passion and drive that was pumping through my veins in January.
So what's a girl to do when she gets in a funk? I could quit. BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! Yeah right! Did I have you going there for a minute? I hope you know me better than that! What about you? Have you sunk in a funk? Are your business hours filled with feelings of defeat instead of optimism? Giiiiiiirl, I feel ya'! Let's crawl out together?!
- Mood Music - Sometimes a funk is just a moment. Like a bad day. These short lived times can often be cured for me with the perfect tunes! I like to create separate playlists in Spotify according to different moods.
- Step Away - I wish all "funks" could be cured by great music. The truth is there are times when not even Pharrell Williams singing the Happy song live in your office could fix it. It may take you stepping away for a moment. It may be unplugging from social media for a week or taking a weekend for yourself. Lauren Black is launching her Bosscation this week (a business retreat in a box). This would be a great way to dive back into your business and rekindle the passion you had at the beginning of the year! You could also use this time to reflect on things that trigger "the funk" and write them down!
- Come Back Strong - Whether you take a day off or month off, come back strong! Have a plan of attack. You know what those triggers are so make sure you have a game plan when they start happening. For example, I had a wedding every weekend in October. Why in the world would I think I could handle blogging and social media that month? So when the month is over I have accomplished zilch when it comes to that part of my business and I the failure funk starts attacking. My goal from now on is to use a slow month to prep and schedule all of this ahead of time! DUH!
- Jesus - Y'all know I can't do this without Him! I love this verse:
Why would you ever complain, O Jacob, or, whine, Israel, saying, “God has lost track of me. He doesn’t care what happens to me”? Don’t you know anything? Haven’t you been listening? God doesn’t come and go. God lasts. He’s Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn’t get tired out, doesn’t pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don’t get tired, they walk and don’t lag behind. - Isaiah 40:31 (MSG)
- Mastermind - I am SO excited about this!! I am part of The Savvy Community by Heather Crabtree and last week she launched mastermind groups. I just know this is going to be a game changer for me! Having people to bounce ideas off of, be real with, share your struggles and funks with will no doubt be AMAZING! I haven't even started and I highly recommend it. Even if you can't be part of a mastermind group, find another biz bestie you can talk to and build a relationship with.
Like I said above it is a roller coaster! And on the up side of this crazy coaster, Le Rae Events has whipped out some pretty spectacular weddings and killed it with our last styled shoot. I am grateful for that!