5 Practical Steps for Setting Goals in Business
My absolute, most productive day happens when I have a prepared and manageable to-do list. On Sunday afternoons, if I will take a few moments to write down what needs to be done for the coming week, my accomplishments are far greater than if I hadn't taken the time to do so. It's kind of like going into a supermarket without a grocery list. You can save a TON of time and money if you know exactly what you are going in for. I have, on many occasions, gone into the grocery store, unprepared and end up walking around in a daze for an hour. The same thing goes for our business. Who wants to wake up in 1 year, 2 years, 10 years to realize they have been roaming aimlessly and accomplished nothing. Below are 5 simple and practical ways to make sure you are on a path of purpose.
1. Write down your yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily goals. In the early years of Le Rae Events, I was having lunch with a mentor/friend of mine and we were talking about the business. She read the scripture Habakkuk 2:2 to me. She asked if I had a vision and challenged me to write it down. For someone who love to make a list and to plan, why had I not ever thought to do this before? I still have that very first "vision/goal" paper tucked into a notebook and ton more!
2. Pray over them. One of my favorite verses is Psalm 37:4 "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart". If you are a believer, take the time to talk to God about your goals, your dreams, and your desires. I completely give Him the credit for any of my accomplished goals and fulfilled dreams.
3. When making a decision, hold it up to your written goals. When you are about to do something or you get asked to do something, grab that piece of paper and read it again. Does this "something" help you reach your mission? Or does it move you further away?
4. Create a vision board. - I reluctantly did this at the beginning of the year. I will admit there was some attitude and eye rolling happening at first. BUT, it turned out to be a great experience and one I will do every year from now on. I mean come on a vision board....that's right up our creative alley!
5. Be "ok" when the path changes. "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." Proverbs 16:9 From the start, I have prayed that my business be 100% in the center of God's will. And, if it's not, for Him to remove it. I trust that if He changes something the outcome will be far greater than what I could have imagined.
I'm so thankful for y'all and I pray this helps at least one person from walking in circles in their business or even their personal life! I'd love to see your written goals on social media or your vision board! Make sure to use #apathofpurpose so we can cheer each other on!